If you’re looking to get fit, there are many different types of Singapore exercise opportunities available to try. High-Intensity Interval Training (or HIIT) is one of the most efficient ways to get in shape, quickly building your endurance and strength.
If your experience of fitness in Singapore is the Great Singapore Workout, you might remember the workouts at school, at parks, community centres, or elsewhere. It was an exercise regimen introduced by the Singapore Government in 1993, comprised of fifteen exercises, all of which were safe for those between seven and 70 years old, designed to get our little country on its feet and active regularly.
The good news? You don’t have to do the Great Singapore Workout ever again! Now, your fitness is your choice.
A type of training that's gained huge popularity over the last few years is High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).
If you’re considering HIIT classes in Singapore, read on to learn more about unique, impactful Singapore exercise options in your area.
What Is HIIT?
You know that HIIT stands for high-intensity interval training—but what does that actually mean?
For a workout to be considered a HIIT workout, it needs to include interval training that repeats and builds over time. The goal is to increase your heart rate by at least 80% of your maximum heart rate. To determine your maximum age-related heart rate, you can use a simple calculation: start with 220 and subtract your age. For instance, if you are 40 years old, you would calculate your maximum heart rate as 220 - 40, resulting in a heart rate of 180 beats per minute. This figure represents the upper limit of what your heart can handle during physical activity. 80% of this would be 144 beats per minute.
Additionally, healthy HIIT workouts will include break periods, allowing you to cool down a little in-between circuits.
Why Take A HIIT Class?
There are many reasons why people choose a HIIT class as their primary Singapore exercise option:
- HIIT workouts are an effective way to burn calories. With HIIT workouts, people get the best of both worlds—a cardio effect that burns fat exclusively, and an opportunity to build muscle, which will help in losing fat over time. This type of workout can be ideal for those who wish to lose weight rapidly and sustainably.
- HIIT-style training can lower one’s blood sugar. This benefit alone makes HIIT an ideal choice for those living with Type-II diabetes and insulin resistance, or pre-diabetes. HIIT has also been suggested as a healthy method of prevention for those who may develop insulin resistance in the future.
- HIIT workouts don’t necessarily require equipment. Because of this, HIIT is an incredibly low-cost and convenient way to work out—and you can do it comfortably in smaller spaces.
What Types of HIIT Classes Are Available in Singapore?
There are many different types of HIIT classes and workouts in Singapore. Some of the most popular classes available are designed to cater to the following focus areas:
- Building power and athleticism
- Improving cardiovascular fitness
- Strength and performance
- Increasing range of motion and better movement
- Strength and conditioning around certain sports
- Classes targeted towards certain age groups or levels of fitness
Many local gyms and community centres offer HIIT classes that are pre-arranged and suited to your level of fitness, simplifying your workout planning process.
How Does UFIT Fit In?
If you’re looking for done-for-you HIIT classes in Singapore, instructed by seasoned professionals and designed to be fun and effective, we've got a number of classes to choose from! They’re offered at six different locations throughout the country, meeting your needs for quality fitness and training.
- Performance Power Class: This class focuses on high-intensity movements performed at speed in short bursts.
- Performance Strength: Ready to lift, but not sure how to start? This is the class for you. Your coach will help you build up compound movement routines involving heavy and safe lifting.
- Performance Mobility: This class focuses on recovery and improving your range of motion and flexibility.
- Performance Cardio: Unleash your athletic potential with a high-energy 45 minute session.
- Tennis BURN: A fantastic on-court conditioning session. Practice a mix of tennis drills while improving your functional fitness.
- Barbell Club: Mastering complex barbell movements takes strength and technique. Our coach will teach you everything you need to know in this small group class.
- HIIT: This outdoor strength and cardio class will introduce you to core hit concepts and equipment, starting your journey strong.
- BURN: Enjoy a fun, accessible outdoor cardio workout that gets you active in the great outdoors.
What Are the Pros & Cons of HIIT Workouts?
While HIIT is a great option for most people looking to get more fit and lose weight, understanding both the pros and cons of HIIT workouts can help you to make the most well-informed decisions when it comes to your health and fitness journey.
The Pros of HIIT Classes in Singapore:
- HIIT is time efficient. Since you’re not bound to machines or a strict regimen, you can complete an effective HIIT workout in as little as 20 minutes. Many appreciate the level of flexibility that HIIT offers.
- HIIT can be done anywhere. No equipment. No obligations. No problem. HIIT is incredibly versatile and can be done at home, outdoors, or in a class with others.
- HIIT can lower your blood pressure. Like many other forms of endurance training, HIIT can lower your blood pressure. This is a great way to avoid blood pressure-related conditions as you age, or to correct any that may pre-exist.
Cons Related to HIIT Workouts and Classes:
- HIIT can be intense for first-timers. Since HIIT features such a volatile mixture of cardio and muscle-building activities, you may find that you’re in pain at the start—even after starting slow. Stretching and recovery can help to minimise discomfort.
- HIIT might be unsuitable for some people. While uncommon, doing these types of workouts too often can lead to injury. They can also be ineffective or ill-advised for pregnant people (consider pre-natal fitness services) and seniors. It’s best to work with gym staff or trainers to determine the best protocol for your level of fitness.
How Do I Pick a Good HIIT Class?
Considering expanding your Singapore exercise options? Here’s our top tips for picking great HIIT classes in Singapore:
- Look for great reviews. Customer reviews and experiences are a great way to determine the knowledge level and credibility of gym staff and trainers at your preferred location.
- Prioritise knowledgeable staff. Taking the time to select a gym with experienced coaches makes your workouts more impactful and safer.
- Go for variety. We always recommend mixing up your workout regime to help keep you motivated and avoid a fitness plateau. Mix it up and target new areas by choosing a location that offers a mix of HIIT-style classes and other workouts.
- Try before you commit. Nothing’s worse than starting your fitness journey only to stop again soon after. Pick a gym that offers a trial or introduction class - that way you can determine whether it's financially and logistically sustainable for your lifestyle and motivation levels.
- Visit the facilities. Once you’ve thought through the above points, the best thing to do is to visit the facilities and get a feel for the place in person, and also to make sure you ask any questions that come to mind.
Considering HIIT Classes in Singapore?
With all that in mind, check out our 7-Days Intro Class Pass for just $49! If you’re ready to begin or want to find out more, check out the list of available classes we have on offer here.