Are you an expecting mother thinking if you should exercise during your pregnancy? We all know that exercise during pregnancy is not a bad thing, and could in fact be beneficial for the expecting mother. Here are 3 workouts you can do at home while pregnant.
Pregnancy core activation using a stability ball
- Pelvic rocking
- Knee plank
- Seated march (additional challenge: alternate arm movements)
squats are key during pregnancy
Squats are helpful for the expecting mother, and here are some of the reasons why they are important and beneficial for the mum-to-be, as long as you don't have any pre-existing conditions or have been advised by a healthcare practitioner not to.
- Increased pelvic floor muscle strength. Squats will help prepare your pelvic floor muscles for birth.
- Prevents low back and pelvic pain. Strong glutes will stabilize your pelvis, which will prevent pain caused by ligaments loosening up due to the pregnancy hormones relaxin and progesterone.
- Prepare you for labour. Squats mirror positions you can hold to help you cope with contractions in early and late labour. They can also help the baby descend deeper down into your pelvis.
- Stronger legs. A must when it comes to labour and the final push to bring your baby into the world.
third trimester at-home-chair-workout
You don't have to completely stop working out in your third trimester, although you should listen to your body and how you feel, and take the advice of your healthcare practitioner. However, to continue staying active, you can do this workout at home without any equipment. All you need is a chair!
- Squat (for increased difficulty, chair hold)
- Knee push-up
- Seated march
- Dips (for increased difficulty, single leg)
- Do 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Amelia Kernstine is a personal trainer with additional expertise in pre and post-natal training. She first discovered her passion for fitness after starting to eat healthily and following an exercise plan to increase her fitness level. It was then she discovered how much she loves helping people to become healthier and happier.